If the Touchpad is disabled, your laptop Touchpad stops working. So you can check and enable the Touchpad in your laptop to fix it. There are two ways to enable Touchpad in your HP laptop:
1. Check the dot at the upper left corner
There is generally a dot at the upper left corner on the Touchpad pane, so you can double tap the dot on the upper left to enable the HP Touchpad.
2. Enable the Touchpad in Settings
Note: The screenshots below are from Windows 10, but the fixes apply to Windows 8 & 7.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time.
2) Click Settings in the popup menu
3) Click Devices
4) Confirm the Touchpad is on
5. Reboot your laptop and try your Touchpad.